What a week of highs and lows. We talked to both old and new players in the game, from the Brooklyn scene elder O.C. to LA emergent Ty Dolla $ign. Not to mention How To Dress Well talking to us about disliking fellow alt-R&B artists and coming out with the golden quote “…everyone’s catching onto the PC Music stuff, but sadly, I think it’s going to be short-lived. It’s just too weird.”
Well, I just don’t agree with that and to prove a completely inconsequential point, I’m kicking off this week’s playlist deep in the PC Music camp with an A.G. Cook remix and a SOPHIE influenced mashup. Then, we’re going to get into some dirty, old school boom bap influenced rap before paying a small tribute to the passing of A$AP Yams, one of the most notable influencers of current-wave rap. You will be missed, Yams. As your homie Rocky says on the featured track ‘Multiply’:
“Even in my will, keep it real, to the day I peel”
So go ahead, pour some out and hit play.
1. How To Dress Well – ‘Repeat Pleasure’ (A. G. Cook Remix) [HTDW Interview]
2. SOPHIE x Gucci Mane – ‘Lemonade’ (Rare MP3s Edit) [Listen]
3. O.C. – ‘Born 2 Live’ [Interview]
4. G-Eazy – ‘Why Thank You’ [Australian tour]
5. BADBADNOTGOOD x Ghostface Killah – ‘Ray Gun’ (feat. DOOM) [Listen]
6. Ty Dolla $ign – ‘Stand For’ (prod. Diplo & DJ Dahi) [Interview]
7. The Weeknd – ‘Earned It’ [Watch]
8. A$AP Rocky – ‘Multiply’ (feat. Juicy J) [Rip Yams – 1 , 2]
Cover art by JARZ – (Check out our gallery of his other work!)
Would you like to contribute to the ACCLAIM Kwik Fix Mix cover design project? Drop us a friendly line with some of your previous work at finn(at)acclaimmag.com for a chance to be a collaborator.