This week marks ten years since Madvillainy graced our speakers, barely bothered the charts, but rapidly spread through word of mouth to become a modern-day classic.
Amongst all the tops tens and tributes on the albums anniversary the best homage has come from Linzi Listens, a blog where a music lover gets his friend from regional China to share her thoughts on albums from a different cultural standing point. She recaps the songs with the Larry David–style honesty of someone with no idea what the popular opinion is. She still seems to like the parts we all do but with some humorously apt perspectives, like her take on ‘Operation Lifesaver aka Mint Test’:
“A weird title and weird lyrics. It’s a weird album with weird sounds and every song is so short. I never heard anything like this.”
Read some of our favourite responses from the post, below, while giving the album a re-listen.
1) The Illest Villains – Weird and creepy at first but then that is interesting like I am listening to a broadcast. A creative song and a very classic feel. A cool way to begin the album.
2) Accordion – I found his voice is very calm, almost sounds like he is boring, between like and dislike. His lyrics are very interesting and clever.
5) Raid – I love the jazz sounds of the song but there is some disgusting sounds after one minute although I don’t know what these sounds are. I think the lyrics are amazing. It’s very difficult even with rap genius.
9) Curls – I still love the music but I am surprised by his voice. I think rappers are very excited, but he sound very boring. I think he is too busy with his intelligence and complex lyrics to be excited.
10) Do Not Fire! – I recognize the street fighter sounds. At first I was sure but it is. I love street fighter so I am excited to hear it in this album.
11) Money Folder – Actually now he is more excited so maybe his lyrics are not important now. Just kidding! The lyrics are very complex. I understand why he is your favorite rapper, but I think you just be a native speaker to appreciate him all the way.
12) Shadows of Tomorrow – I did not expect Chinese! Very interesting idea, today is the shadow of tomorrow. Also, there is no relation of the Chinese and the lyrics meaning at all.
20) All Caps – Not easy to understand but some lyrics are very funny and cool. The music is very dark but still exciting. I think this is the perfect theme song for a villain.
22) Rhinestone Cowboy – I like the song, but I think All Caps should be the last song. In conclusion, this album is amazing. I think I will listen to it more times to understand it more, and it will be an album I like and understand more the more I listen.
More Doom and Quas