So, we’d heard that J Dilla‘s long-lost album from 2002 was finally given an April 15 release date. We’d learnt that the posthumous album, titled The Diary, would include the likes of Snoop Dogg, Bilal, Pete Rock and Madlib. Now, we’ve been given our first glimpse into the long-awaited album. And it doesn’t disappoint.
Dilla’s ‘Gangsta Boogie’, featuring Snoop Dogg and Kokane, as well as Hi-Tek on production duties. The single was premiered first on Dr. Dre’s Beats 1 Radio show The Pharmacy, and is sure to have Dilla heads hanging out for the official album release. Have a listen to ‘Gangsta Boogie’ below.
It was originally set for release in 2002 before being sidelined due to issues with MCA, his label at the time, and other legal battles. You can check out the track listing below:
The Diary track list
1. The Introduction (prod. HouseShoes, add. J Dilla)
2. The Anthem f. Frank & Dank (prod. J Dilla)
3. Fight Club f. Nottz & Boogie (prod. Wajeeed)
4. The Shining pt.1: Diamonds f. Kenny Wray (prod. Nottz)
5. The Shining pt.2: Ice (prod. Madlib)
6. Trucks (prod. J Dilla)
7. Gangsta Boogie f. Snoop Dogg & Kokane (prod. Hi-Tek)
8. Drive Me Wild (prod. Karriem Riggins, live music from Questlove, Lee Johnson, James Poser & Pino Palidino)
9. Give Them What They Want (prod. J Dilla)
10. The Creep (The O) (prod. Hi-Tek)
11. The Ex f. Bilal (prod. Pete Rock)
12. So Far (prod. Supa Dupa West)
13. Fuck The Police (prod. J Dilla)
14. The Diary (prod. BINK!)
Pre-order the album here.
- Words: Louis Hanson