Not sure how else to say this, but we really fuck with Kaytranada over here at ACCLAIM. How do we love thee? Let me count the ways:
1. The fact that he changed his name from ‘Kaytradamus’ to ‘Kaytranada’ because he was informed of Flosstradamus’ existence by Lunice.
2. The fact that he is responsible for one of the best Janet Jackson ‘If’ remixes to date, and can do the ‘If’ dance. I’ve seen it with my own eyes – it’s real.
3. We presented his last AUS/NZ tour with Ryan Hemsworth (shoutout BBE and The Operatives) and this was the result. The Melbourne show also happened to be on the night of Kaytranada’s 21st birthday and he played for two-and-a-half hours straight instead of getting turnt. He would have kept going if Djemba Djemba and Mr. Carmack weren’t next up. Respect.
4. He has a side project called The Celestics with his bro Louis-Philippe and their bio reads simply this: “Young rapper from Montreal trying to have success. Young producer/DJ from Montreal trying to obtain more success.” That is some real talk.
5. Because Huh What & Where.
Have you fallen for Kaytranada yet or nah? If not, then go witness him live at Future Music Festival. (You can grab tickets online.) If you do go and you still aren’t down, then shoot me an email with your rebuttal to my list above. You can reach me at [email protected].
We kept it casual and made small talk with Kaytranada below:
My name is… KEVINNN.
By day I… eat, listen to records and make beats.
By night I… smoke weed, watch movies and listen to more records.
My favourite TV show is… Martin.
The last movie I watched was… Paperboy
The first album I ever bought was… Clipse – Lord Willin’.
The last was… Loopdigga EP.
If I wasn’t making music I would probably be… dead.
I’m addicted to… music in general. And movies.
The best thing about touring is… visiting new cities and partying.
The worst thing is… waking up early to go to the airport.
My perfect gig would involve… good crowd, good sound system, nice lighting or visuals.
The first gig I went to was… Jay Z and N.E.R.D.
The most important thing on my rider is… weed.
My hangover cure is… sleep.
My favourite YouTube vid is… ‘The Ghost Of The Hotel’ by Odd Future.
My computer’s wallpaper is… Marvin Gaye.
Photography by Ash Kingston.